Sunday, October 26, 2008

Oceans and Mermaids and Questions, oh my!

My inspiration for today's post comes from Josie, whose entry and pics truly hit home:)

I don't know if I've already mentioned this, but the school psychologist at my school site once told me that almost all of the students she had worked with (who were on the ASD spectrum) had some form of attachment (in NBear's case - obsession) to the Marine Universe!

I was always amazed at how NBear took to the water so well, and at such an early age. *Alright, alright - so she screamed bloody murder the very first time I put those floating arm bands on her and she realized her feet were dangling in liquid, but a few minutes after that, she was hooked!* She had absolutely no fear of letting go of the gutters when were at pools, and when she finally had her chance to swim "in a REAL ocean" on our visit to Guam, the Huz had to go in and pull her back to shore because she obviously didn't understand the concept of - the water doesn't get any shallower the farther you go...and, the fish don't get any smaller!

*pictured below is the ocean she swam in, as seen from our hotel room*


She is the reason for out yearly trek to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I used to think that it was inevitable for the Huz and me to have a child who was a water-lover because (having grown up on an island), we were too! Just the sight of water sends wild electrical pulses through my skin that seem to say "Jump in! Jump in! Jump in!" , and if the Huz could, he'd probably sleep with a speargun and fins by his side - his version of teddy bears! So it was both enlightening and odd for me to discover that a fascination with the marine world was a common thread with ASD kids - and I'm not talking just loving to swim. I mean, knowing the ins and outs of marine animals as well! It's absolutely mind-boggling...

Why, though? Who knows? Carolyn also mentioned a surfing program that worked wonders for her son Tim, and I hope I also get a chance one day to bring NBear to one of those sessions. :) She is definitely my little mermaid! (Did I also mention that she is a die-hard fan of Disney's Little Mermaid? She also loves the Backyardigan episode when the characters imagine themselves as mermaids!)

Of course, sister MBear (pictured below with friend J2H on the right- she is also the 2nd of three girls, daughter of one of mommybear's BFFs, JGH) didn't take to the liquid heaven at all, and preferred the much-safer chlorinated areas. She did, however, enjoy the breathtaking view!

...and finally (the Huz has also requested this), I need to add that NBear is the new poster child for How To Ask Questions. She is soooo curious, it's funny! Could the shell be cracking a bit more? Although she still struggles with "Why" questions, she certainly has a bit more of a hold on the other ones:

*Mommy, are you scared? (after seeing a preview of an HBO vampire series)

*Daddy, what are you doing?

*Where's MBear?

*Which way do we go?

*What are you doing? (A BIG one!)

*Who's that?

The more she asks, the more we realize how aware she's becoming.

My little mermaid...

5 comments:

Joie said...

That's awesome! :) When will I see you again? Miss you guys

DMV47 said...

SOOOOOONNNN! You know where to find me anyway, girl! I'm more stuck at home than you are :)

Carolyn said...

Add Tim to the list of water junkie A Club kids. This summer we couldn't get enough of the pool and he gained so much confidence in the water we were just amazed.

Definitely check out the surfing program. I know I mentioned it before but it's called Surfer's Healing and it's run by the Paskowitz family in SoCal. Wonderful program and just a great day for the A Club kids and their families. The only catch is that you really have to be ready to sign up on the day the sign ups open. There are loads of folks who want to do this and only a limited number of spots. My advice is to start keeping an eye on their website in March and watch for the sign up date to be posted.

DMV47 said...

Awesome!

hopefaithbelieve said...

How wonderful! Those questions she is asking are proof that she is closer to the other side; the recovered one.