Tuesday, June 17, 2008

...and then, the starting pistol was fired...

My daughter has autism.

She is six - will be seven at the end of this month.

I do not want to start telling her story from the beginning, simply because she is not the same person she was when she was two, or three. The day of her fateful diagnosis, the times she would grunt and throw uncontrollable tantrums, and the devastating moment we realized she had stopped saying words - and would stop saying words for almost a year - are no longer relevant to the story that her life is telling now.

Cured? No - not at all. Far from it. This is not going to be a story of immediate rewards or lightning-speed miracles - though one may hope for them, of course ;) Instead, I hope (like many parents out there) to GIVE hope, and to open more eyes to what you may want to explore if your child has autism. (My newfound mantra is "Leave no stone unturned!")

This all sound familiar? It should. From the depths of my heart I thank Jenny McCarthy for writing "Louder than Words" and sharing her experiences with her son, Evan - and for the many friends who told me about the book's existence. (And to K, who bought it for me...do you realize how precious it is to us now?) See it here.
http://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/jenny/

In the past few months, we (hubby and I) have done the following:
* visited Dr. Mielke - a DAN! doctor in Pleasanton
* watched NBear get blood drawn both at that lab and at Kaiser
* collected urine, hair, and the ever-favorite stool sample for her biomedical testing
* started her on an anti-fungal called Fluconazole (Diflucan)
* began her biomedical treatment with an arsenal of supplements, which include: Probiotics, Cod liver oil, Nu- Thera, (she's not on the SUPER Nu-Thera, as the link shows), Trace minerals, Magnesium powder, and Calcium powder. The last of which will be the infamous B-12 shots, which we'll have to administer pretty much like an epi-pen.

* started a journal to note any reactions or changes NBear experiences during her treatment

* said goodbye to a lot of our savings.....without caring ;)

......SIGH.....

My energy is drained right now. Time is 11:43 pm. I promise to continue as soon as I can.

The important thing for everyone to know right now is that we've awakened to the sound of the starting pistol.

Our marathon has begun.

No comments: