Monday, January 26, 2009

Hair today, gone tomorrow!

Serves us right for thinking we could leave the girls alone downstairs for a bit!

Just a few minutes ago, I was jolted out of my seat (here, at the computer) by the sound of NBear's footsteps running up the stairs, and her squealing voice uttering these words:

Mommy --- Daddy! Is MBear! Is MBear is haircut! Zzzizzors!

I grabbed SBear in my arms, ran to the door (at the same time saying "Whaaat!??" while the Huz - who obviously heard the message - also made his way toward me. We met at the top of the stairs, both groaning the words "Oh no...oh my gawd....oooohhhhhh" and dreading having to catch sight of our daughter's new 'do.

I don't know what visual Huz had prepared for himself, but I had images of the movie "Powder" in mine. Then, the inevitable onslaught of images came: Yul Brynner in "The King and I"...Gordon from Sesame Street...Caillou....even Milla Jovovich in "The Fifth Element"....you get my point.


* The bad news --MBear had indeed chopped off a significant amount (no photos taken - I don't want to remember how angry I was at her!) of her tresses. The evidence was all over the carpet and on their play slide! No - I do NOT want to know how the heck chunks of her hair got on the slide!


* The good news -- the part she chopped off was close enough to her bangs, they simply looked like a "layered" addition to her look. (Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better? The Huz certainly won't agree with the Layered-look theory because he said "See? Look at you now! You look so funny!") sigh.


*The BEST news -- *just in case you missed it in the beginning!* YES! NBear actually told us what had happened! (She's also been good about telling us when one of her siblings has an accident, but "poopoo" is much easier to explain in one word than when somebody cuts their own hair off). The other neat thing happened when I was making my way down the stairs. I guess she sensed the angst and anger building up inside Mommy Bear because she quickly turned my face towards hers and said something like:


NBear GOOD GIRL! I love you, Mommy! (I love you, too) MBear is barbershop!


...and then when I acknowledged what she had said, That's right, honey - you are a good girl! Thanks for telling us, and for not cutting your hair, she gave me a *thumbs up*! :) HAHA!

Talk about knowing how to save her behind, huh?

I leave you now with another photo from NBear's gallery. I'll call this - MBear, before the Z-mishap. Enjoy.


2 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Yep, I'm sure you weren't sitting around giving compliments on her communication skills right then!

I can picture you guys running around in slow motion ... noooooo...

Carolyn said...

You should also find some solace in the fact that do-it-yourself haircuts are the regular domain of typical kids. I can't even recount how many times I've heard a version of this story from my friends with typical kids ... see? She's making her way ... closer and closer ... with ... every ... snip!