Monday, January 19, 2009

My Repeat-erminator!

(photo courtesy of MBear, who was able to capture her sister's oh-so-hard-habit-to-break: nail-biting!)

NBear has recently discovered that mommy's laptop (which now has a permanent spot on our dinner table) is just as capable of getting internet access downstairs as it was upstairs. Welcome to the wireless universe, honey.

Huz and I try to keep her off the computer as much as we can, unless we're in the room with her to monitor her web-surfing know-how. Boy, does that girl know how to surf!

Her favorite site happens to be Youtube, where she entertains herself endlessly with scenes from her favorite Pixar film (Toy Story) or Elmo dvds. Yup, she can go from the desktop to Youtube by Google-ing (Huz has it on his favorites list) the words "Toy Story" or "Elmo" (or anything else for that matter. I know I said I'd be so happy if she ever learned how to spell -but....*sigh*). Needless to say, not all the videos or sites are appropriate, and when she happens upon those, I experience rare moments when I am actually happy that she doesn't ask questions!

Like when I took her to work one weekend and she put my computer's sound on full blast - I found myself listening to a very explicit version of a Woody and Buzz scene. Let's just say... words that rhymed with muckin' and fit were among those being uttered. Poor NBear. I'm sure she was wondering why mommy ran to the computer like a lunatic, furiously waving the mouse's cursor on the screen in a desperate search for the "Escape" button. *note to self: must tell IT person for district about blocking that despicable site!*

She also loves to repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat..*whew* (you get the picture) AND repeat those online videos. Am I right to call this her visual stim, or is that a characteristic across the board? If she's left alone, I'm sure she can keep at it for hours and hours. :(

I suppose this is why Huz and I would rather see her watch TV (yes, I said it!) than be on the computer OR watch a dvd - which also gets rewound like crazy. The obvious reason? She cannot control how the story/show/commercial will run its course! She may change the channel, sure, but it's still miles better than hearing "Hello Elmo" 50 times in a row. Groan.

I am so tempted to buy her her OWN digital camera. That should keep her occupied. ;)

No comments: