Saturday, January 17, 2009

The end. For now.

Before I begin a post that is long overdue, I really would love to thank the readers and dear friends I have out there! It's neat how people come up to you and say "I read your blog! It's very interesting - I have a friend who has kids with autism..." (that was from little sister Val *hug*), or when people you haven't even met, make their chat status read "Gotta love the Cinderella Rain and Dancing Bananas" and your heart explodes (that was for robot number BF3L:RCPB - you know who you are!) Little comments and awareness-moments like these really do give me the confirmation that I am of help...or rather, my NBear is :) So, I do thank you all so very much! And now, we begin.....

Carolyn's holiday blog break was certainly nothing compared to this recent insane hiatus of mine (more like a hibernation, if you ask me!), but I'm so glad I'm back (and you're still here).

You are, right?...hello?......anyone out there?....

We made a very difficult decision after the new year hit: Nbear would have to stop her biomeds program, just until we could get back on our feet again. *sob* The Huz was the first to bring it up, which was a LOT ironic, being he was the force du jour in this entire scenario. Needless to say, the times are not on our side -- nor that of the entire nation's!

So, with a heavy heart, we agreed to use up the last of the B-12 shots, the glutathione ointment, and continue to give her the supplements until they too were gone. (Of course he made it VERY clear that this was just a "break", and nothing more!) So, I braced myself for an extreme regression period, or - heaven forbid - the devastation of seeing all of our hard work (and hard-earned money) go down the drain in the form of losing NBear's progress completely!

I have to admit, without the daily schedule of supplements and measuring spoons and watching the clock, and write that down to remind us that we already gave it to her this morning, and today is shot day will she stay still and so on and so forth, I immediately noticed the very first change -- but it wasn't with NBear.

My husband's stress level had taken a wonderful, almost Olympic-level dive. :) All the months of biomeds and DAN! protocols had certainly taken their toll (though we certainly don't regret any of it), and it was nice to see the "ease" seep back into his eyes. It made me - yet again - aware of how lucky other parents were, not having to go through what we in the A-club world go through. And oh! How wonderful it was to just have to take the AFP tablets with us, and be free of the arsenal NBear usually had to have: to not have to pack her meds when we anticipated staying late at a get-together (though we still have to pack some of her gfcf food) was heaven.

Did she change?
Honestly, I'd have to give the dreaded two-fold answer.

Yes: She has been Ms. Defiant these past few weeks, but has taken an interest in rollerskating, thanks to the Christmas present from daddy. I'm not sure if her frustration lies in the fact that the 2-week Christmas break didn't offer her much of a "fun" schedule (that would be mom's fault), or if she's at an age where she's just more aware of...well, not wanting to follow orders. Isn't that puberty, though? *ugh*

No: Other than the aforementioned, however, she is still my very verbal, very playful, very social NBear. Sure the language still needs work, but she has still retained what we saw her gain. I love watching her play, play, play with MBear. She does get her silly moments (and that's when I remember Dr. Mielke's warning about yeast overgrowth, and have to warn myself to calm down, and just enjoy the laughing spell for what it is) and I am warmed.

I have a feeling - despite what our nation faces in these dreary times - that the best...
is yet...
to come. :)

Happy new year!

5 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Faces! I see faces! HIIIII!!!!

I'm so glad that NBear is doing well. It's a lot of work and stress no matter how you decide to parent an autistic child. I'm glad we all have choices. :]

Hugs!

M. said...

Oh, nothing but hugs from me. I completely understand this. I hope that you will continuing blogging, I will miss reading updates!

You all are in my thoughts. Very tough times, indeed. There are months I have no idea how we will make it.

Love to you all.

Carolyn said...

Don't let your heart be too heavy ... you're doing what's best for your family right now. Who knows, maybe you'll even decide this is best for longer term ... it will be interesting to read your updates as time goes by. As far as the defiant thing goes, don't be so certain that's related to the meds ... Tim became terribly defiant the day we took him back to school after our very long and indulgent holiday break!

Keep your chin up - you're doing great things for your family.

Michelle B Photography said...

Good for you! I can so relate with what you wrote about writing it down to make sure you gave her morning supp or checking to see if it's shot day...ugh. I dream of a day when biomeds are the past.

Good luck. I have read from other parents that some kids actually do better when they take a break and start over. You'll figure out what she doesn't need anymore.

Anonymous said...

i think the chat status read more like: how cool are dancing bananas and cinderella rain. you truly are an inspiration! glad to see and hear that nbear is doing good... .you know that i am always here for you...
robot BF3L:RCPB signing off... thinking and praying for you. ciao bella!