Sunday, July 6, 2008

The BIG "O"

Organic, or not organic - that is the question.

I must admit that when my sis-in-law had her first child (many years ago) and she was determined to allow only organic foods and triple-purified microbes to enter the kid's body, I was beyond hysterics. Hey - and so was hubby, so I'm not letting him off THIS hook! I remember the days she would be dressed in her nightgown, hair looking like a bird's unkempt nest, shoving down packs of organic veggies and fruit down the blender's throat...it was a sight to behold. The kitchen cupboards looked like something out of a science experiment: words like "probiotic", "chemical-free", "organic", "hemopathic"(?) and "no-hormone" appeared in every single food and household item that belonged to her family.

And now, I am the sight.

I never thought the legends were true - stories about an organic section in supermarkets like Safeway and Nob Hill. One other tale even made me shudder: it told of a magical place called Whole Foods - where it was not just a SECTION, but an ENTIRE store dedicated to this healthy way of life. You mean this place really existed? The first time I saw the words "Whole Foods" was in a caption underneath Angelina Jolie's picture in US magazine. Sure she had a basket in her hands, but for all I knew, she was snapped filming a scene for a new movie...called...."Skinny Girls Always Get the Hunks"...but - I digress.

My first trip to Whole Foods was inevitable, since embracing this new program for NBear. I swear, if anyone EVER looked like a fish out of water, it was me. It wasn't a scary experience - just overwhelming. Extremely overwhelming. As I navigated through the seemingly -endless aisles of "all things good for you", I was relieved to find the huge selection of GFCF items. I mean, HUGE. It made me feel like GFCF people were a new species, with my little one belonging to their list :( Let me also add that if you're in the mood for looking at meds and supplements from Aloe Vera juice to Gingko extract, well - you've found your mecca. (In addition, if you're into drinking colostrum - didn't look long enough to see if it was human or not - they sell that too! *turning green* White plastic bottle. Milk section. Salut!)

My run at the health store heaven was not without its share of interesting conversation:

Hubby: This is cereal?
Me: *eyeing he green box* Yup!
Hubby: Rice bran with Green Tea Matcha? What the heck?
Me: Hey - it's HEALTHY! Isn't that why you sent me there? You said she needs to eat healthy and organic foods.
Hubby: I know, I know...(*I think I heard him mouth "SHE, not US" somewhere in there*)
Me: AND - look what I found! *Holding up a bottle of Peach Kifer* Wasn't this what you looked up? It says here - "a great probiotic"! Let's try it. *ripping open the plastic rim around the top*
Hubby: *speechless, looking at the determination and zeal in my eyes*
Me: *taking my first swig* Wow....this...tastes...ummm.....thick. Really thick....and....wow.

WAIT! WE INTERRUPT THIS POST TO SHARE THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION: NBEAR JUST WALKED UP TO ME, TOYS IN HAND AND SAID: "Mommy, you want to play toys with me?" YEEEE-----HAH! FIRST TIME EVER! I HAVE TO GO! :)

....by the way, the whole Kifer thing didn't work out. It's sitting on my refrigerator shelf. Probiotic or not, TASTE must always factor in, somehow, n'est pas?

LAST BIT: If you want to see a mini GNC, come on over. I'm sure all parents whose children are on this program will agree.

1 comment:

Joie said...

Awww. I totally see the difference. :)