Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm okay! Really.....I.....am....

Our minds are so full of information right now, it wouldn't surprise me if brain matter started oozing out of our noses.

Meeting #2 with Dr. Mielke was all about answering our questions (phase 1), going over the lab results (phase 2), and getting the rest of our pharmacy goodies (phase 3) - all in a mere two hours. Needless to say, phase two was my least favorite:

So - she hands us a stack of papers and said they were NBear's lab results. You're kidding, right? - sneered my inner dark self - this REAM looks like the rough draft of the book "War and Peace"! We're going through all of this? Shouldn't you have allotted 6 hours, then? How could 1 stool sample, 1 hair sample, and 3 urine samples have come to this? *side: I must remind myself to post about THAT experience as well! We could all use a hefty laugh.* Alas, all I had the strength to say was, "Oh." Here is what we (hubby and moi) were told, or rather, how we understood what we were told:

*NBear had some serious viral issues - results showed that her digestive tract tissues had some serious inflammation going on

*As for food allergies, our hearts sank when EGG WHITES and YOLK were on her "not-to-eat" list. There go the morning over-easies, the gluten-free cake mixes.....*sob*....also on the list was wheat, rye, cow's milk, and our good friend, gluten. Incidentally, her body's reaction to gluten was so high (she scored a 0.859 on a scale of 0-1!) that Dr. Mielke wondered if the poor child could possibly even suffer from celiac disease. (same link, but look at the 5th paragraph. *lol* Notice the last sentence there? I hope the Pope plans on hiring some people from the "Gluten-Free Eucharist Ministry". Soon.)

*Yes, metal toxins - mercury, lead, arsenic - were still an issue. Chelation was definitely going to have to happen, if we wanted to move forward. I'm not going to lie about my fear of chelation. How can I possibly be 100% FINE when there are things like this and this? OMG. We did receive a test kit - called the Challenge kit - to see if NBear would have a "positive" reaction to the chelator known as DMSA. (I'm assuming that "positive" in this context does not mean happy faces and plus signs, but rather if:

1) she is willing to take the chelator orally, despite the fact that its sulfuric content matches that of a rotten egg...in both smell and taste, I may add. *clearly remembering Dr Mielke's face as she stressed the words "...it...tastes....hooorrrrriiiibbbllleee!"

2) she does not have a bad reaction (a bad reaction to ingesting rotten egg-like powder? Now who ever heard of such a possibility?)

3) it works for her. Alas, some chelators can be picky with the metals they choose to adhere to, and may not secrete them as planned. Let's hope NBear's metals are high on the attractive list .

Would it be so bad to ask all of you who read this to please ask the big G-man (aka J-man, HS-man) to keep her in mind when I administer the test tomorrow? *groan* I'll also have to follow her around for 6 hours after the capsules are taken. Just call me Princess Urine-Collector. *Where's the catheter when I need it?*

***Last Word:
~ Two teary tantrums and one "woe-is-me" speech to hubby later.......and I am fine. really.
Did I also mention that my wallet is now concave? That book idea doesn't sound so bad after all.

No comments: