Sunday, July 20, 2008

other thoughts

(from the Introduction, pg. xxiii)

You Don't Have to Be Extraordinary

One last thought: You know those mothers in those other autism books, the personal-memoir type? The mothers who are tough and strong and do scientific research on their own and never take a break from working with and fighting for their child?

I'm not like that at all. I am so not a mother tigress. I'm fairly shy, I'd rather go to lunch with my kid than sit in a room and drill him. I'll do anything to avoid confrontation, and I know absolutely nothing about the science of autism except that someone somewhere is trying to locate the genes for it, which would be helpful information, I guess.

I'm totally in awe of the kinds of mothers I've read about in those other books, the ones who knock down doors to get their kids what they need, who contact every expert they hear of, who question authority and read any bit of information they can get their hands on. They deserve their child's success, and I hope every one of them finds it. But I'm not like that, and if it's not your nature either, I don't think you need to be to help your child.

You just have to take the right steps and be willing to do some work.
Start by reading this book.

*as I've mentioned in an earlier post, ABA therapy and other behavioral strategies are wonderful - and vital - in complementing the DAN! program protocol. I'm enjoying this book! Mr. Other Half made the purchase (thank you, AMAZON for your cheap, used books), and I'm happy he did. NBear made her first huge leap when she had ABA time for five hours a week at home, courtesy of her school district;) We have to especially thank MandeeW (BMT = Behavior Management Therapist) for much of the progress NBEar has made. She was truly a god-send, and we miss her terribly! (As NBear puts it, "I wuv Mandee!")

*thanks, LVJ, for showing me how to put images on my posts. whatcha think?

1 comment:

Joie said...

I really like the images. :) Good job.