Tuesday, August 19, 2008

another appt, another round

Saw Dr. Mielke yesterday afternoon, and the DMSA test we gave NBear a while back was not as successful as she had hoped. Are you kidding me? All that pee collection for THIS? She said something like, "It didn't show a big 'pull'", which basically means it didn't do a good job of extracting a large amount of the metal toxins in NBear's body. *feel free to gasp for air here*

So now what?

"I'd like to do the test again."

I felt the color drain from my face. Sure, the Huz mentioned that NBear had thrown up a little bit during the testing period (I swear, it was just a little - I personally feel she didn't lose any of the DMSA's effect) which then led to Dr. Mielke's concern that some of the meds must have come out, thus affecting the level of chelation.

"You mean...you want us to give her the tablets again? Where would we be right now if the test results showed a good pull?"

She said we'd be looking at scheduling a chelation program for NBear, according to what our financial situation was. So you mean you also have a program for "broker-than-broke"?

I'm sorry, but I wasn't happy with this appointment at all. I know, I know - Dr. Mielke doesn't write up the test results herself, but something just irked me about how all this was being handled. First of all, if the kid THREW UP because of the tablets, why would you want to try that route again? I didn't have the heart to see her go through that, even if it was just a tad. Second, I was not about to shell out major bucks for another follow-up appointment just to hear the same thing! So...I did what i thought was best.

I suggested we try another route.
Suppositories.
Yes, suppositories.

Poor NBear, but I just need to know that another route will be better, even if this is a bit invasive. Our other choice would be via I.V., and to be quite honest, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. But our kid and our wallets sure would...

Those stupid metals. If I could, I'd pull an "Inner Space" move and vacuum them out myself.

As always, wish us luck.

*If there are any parents out there who have tried this with their kid - I need you!*

2 comments:

the fab mimi said...

i'll hope for the best!...
i saw nbears cousin visiting from out there...VG and daughter malia. such a small island.

Anonymous said...

Are they DMSA tablets? Your idea about suppositories sounds good, though. We had a horrible time doing the urine bag! We have to do it next week and I am dreading it! Any tips, send them this way. But in the meantime, I'll pass any your way if I can think of any!