Thursday, August 28, 2008

without you...

My husband listened to my rant about NBear's increasingly "un-NBear-like" behavior and said, "It will get worse before it gets better". How much WORSE? Will she be ripping doors off their hinges next? Screaming at the top of her lungs like she did when she was two? Running crazy laps in the living room for no reason? (hence "crazy") Crying until our home feels like a flooded Florida beach house? I don't know what to do, I don't know what to think, but I do know what to feel: powerless. (By the way, the prescription meds she recently started - see pic in the previous post - is a milder form of the anti-viral drug VALTREX!)

It's times like these that help me remember the one sure-fire way to "liven up". It's a simple exercise that reminds you to celebrate your child, and the everyday gifts they give to you. I hope you'll join me. Follow the directions below! *teacher mode kicking in...has summer ended already???*

1) in your head, complete this sentence:
Without (name of child), I wouldn't _____________.

2) write your sentence as a comment if you wish!

3) for those of you who have more than one child (like me) feel free to write (or think of) a sentence for each one!

4) last - put an asterisk (*) by the name of your child(ren) if he or she is a special needs individual:)

Here's my list. Enjoy:
-- Without *NBear, I wouldn't have known what it felt like to have my heart grow so much, it's become too big for my chest. :)

-- Without MBear, I wouldn't have known that duets (on the car ride home) can be extremely stress-relieving, especially when the better voice belongs to the one riding in the car seat. :)

-- Without SBear, I wouldn't have believed that "calm babies" really DID exist, and are capable of smiling for hours on end! :)

5 comments:

hopefaithbelieve said...

What a wonderful exercise. I agree that saying simple sentences like that keeps the brain remembering how grateful the heart is when the nerves are fried!

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Without Patrick, I wouldn't have thought that I did mostly ok in the parenting department. :]

Without G*, things would be a lot calmer at home, but I've learned just a bit about acceptance of others "where they are" from him.

Without Elf*, I wouldn't be homeschooling and enjoying his company all day.

Without Emperor*, I never would have realized that someone could speak for a full 45 minutes without stopping.

Without J*, I would not have my Woodjie McOnion McGillicuddy with Cheese giving me cuddles every day.

Without S, I would not have one of those "girl" creatures living with me.

M. said...

This is great- as I tried to think of what to write, I realized that thinking about it in my head was more important than sharing it with others. :)

DMV47 said...

*Smiling at m.* OF course! Besides, this is definitely an on-going process for all parents! :)

KC's Blog said...

This is a wonderful idea. I really should make my list and post it. Somedays are really tough but being able to reflect helps tons! I had the little Tasmanian Devil today as well. Where the heck do they get the energry?