Thursday, August 7, 2008

No T.V. talk!

My two new blog-world pals (Hi LAA and Carolyn!) have inspired me to discuss something very common in our A-Club world: scripting.

NBear was the queen of scripting! We had many moments where she'd have one-way conversations with us and simply recite the entire "Finding Nemo" dialogue. If she exhausted that movie, she'd move on to "Elmo's World" episodes - ALL of them.

Scripting is extremely odd, in that (at least in my experience) the child seems to know the "taking turn" rule of conversing, but not the "needing-to-be engaged-in-the-discussion" rule. Here's an example of how I remember some of our conversations with her:


Me: Hi, NBear!

NBear: Look at all the animals in the zooooo!!!

Me: Are you hungry?

NBear: What do you think, Dorothy? Should Elmo go to the zoo?


...you get the picture. Huz found a neat solution to this problem: the words "No TV Talk!" (interesting how the link for scripting has "No movie talk" in it - we thought we were the only ingenious ones! *LOL*)

If you thought it ended there, she was also the queen of BE KIND, REWIND. When she was into VHS tapes, all you'd hear was the constant whir of the tape machine as she repeated the same frame over, and over, and over again. It got even worse with the ease of DVD players:

*whirring noise*
Hi, I'm Elmo!
*whirring noise*
Hi, I'm Elmo!
*whirring noise*
Hi, I'm Elmo!
(that was the VHS)

(enter the DVD player)
*half-second pause*
This is my goldfish, Dorothy!
*half-second pause*
This is my goldfish, Dorothy!
*half-second pause*
This is my goldfish, Dorothy!

*For a similar "entertaining" segment, check out Jenny's Louder Than Words page 122:)*

Mind you, it took the fear of God to prevent the Huz and me from hurling the entire entertainment center out the window. (Plus the fact that I wasn't exactly American Gladiator material, and he wasn't willing to let go of the then-new TV we bought.)

I'm very happy to say that to date, though she still loves repeating shows, she will at least (for the most part) wait until the entire segment is over, before enjoying it for the ump-teenth time.


Oh. She's also great at using something else now:

Me: *singing* La-la-la-la...La-la-la-la...Elmo's woooorrrlld!

NBear: Mommy?

Me: Yes, sweetie?

NBear: *stern voice* NO T.V. TALK!

3 comments:

Joie said...

I haven't heard her Tv Talk in awhile. I have definitely seen an improvement in her communication skills. I hear her talking to Boboy.

DMV47 said...

Yes, I know huh? *teary-eyed*

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Hi! ALL my older children can recite lengthy passages of tv dialogue. It doesn't really bother me so much if I can get them OUT of it once in a while. :]