Monday, August 11, 2008

teeth and tape


My big girl NBear is losing her teeth.

In the first pic (taken last week) she smiled willingly, proud and beaming to show off how her "broken tooth" finally wiggled itself out of its gummy castle.

The second pic, however...(taken last night) was taken after a bout of screaming and utter devastation over losing yet another tooth. Alright, alright - so Huz decided it would be a good idea to yank the loose guy out with handy-dandy dental floss, and NBear was fine with it - until (of course) she realized there was no way to put it back. Make that - put them both back.

NBear: No tooth out! NOOOOOO! *holding both teeth (which H-man saved - hopefully for the tooth fairy and not to make a necklace with) in her fingers, shoving them both into their original gum sockets*

Huz: You can't put them back!...Okay, then - you want some tape? *chuckling to himself* I scowled at him for being so mean!

NBear: Tape, please! *still crying*

In the end, we both tried to convince her that the best was yet to come - that included taking a multitude of pics of her new tooth emerging into the great wide open! (told you I love puns). But sadly, that didn't reassure her at all :( She covered herself up with the comforter, repeating her "No tooth out!" mantra a few more times. I felt so bad when she peeked out a few minutes later, her cheeks wet with the tears she cried.

That did it. I read not one - but THREE bedtime stories to ease her pain. For me, that's a record. I made sure my "reader mode" was extra funny and expressive (which was a little difficult to do when sister MBear was always trying to correct my "mistakes" - No Mommy, that's HIPPO, not RHINO! fyi: it was a Hippo...but who's got the energry to argue with a 2 year-old at 9pm? Not I, said the mommy.)

Her giggles and laughter eventually became the magic serum for sleep.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

YIKES! I have to say, I dread the loose-tooth phase. Can't imagine how my kid will react to that creepy feeling inside his mouth ... ewwww!

As for Sunol, we took the Camp Ohlone trail out to the Little Yosemite area. Had to trek down a fairly steep slope to get to the falls (frankly, can't believe that I did it) but the boys didn't seem to have any problem at all.

DMV47 said...

Tim hasn't lost any teeth yet? My suggestion: don't even mention tape! (and don't save the teeth) lol!